Development Services

The Development Services Department is charged with the responsibility for protecting and enhancing the community's historic, environmental, economic and cultural resources. The following functions of this department are:  Building Safety, Business Licensing, Code Compliance, Customer Service, Geographic Information System (GIS), Planning, Unified Development Ordinance (UDO) and Zoning.  

Building Safety Division ensures that structures constructed in Chino Valley conform to adopted building codes.  Staff in this division review plans for new construction, remodeling, and additions to existing buildings; issue permits once plans are approved; inspects all work, and finalizes the project when construction is complete.

Code Compliance is a function within the Building Safety Division and strives to ensure compliance with building code and zoning requirements.  If you are aware of issues you believe to be in violation of the Unified Development Ordinance this is the department you should contact.

Customer Service Division provides front counter and phone support for all divisions within the Development Services Department.
  • Business Licensing - If you are planning to start a business in Chino Valley or are a contractor doing work in town, you will need to obtain a business license before initiating any business activity.
  • Building Permits - All new construction, remodel or improvement of any structure, including storage buildings and signs may required a permit.
This citizenserve link will take you directly to our online portal.  You will be
able to submit your building permit or business license electronically.


Geographic Information System (GIS) is a function within the Development Services Department. 

Planning and Zoning Division oversees long range and short range planning projects, interprets the Unified Development Ordinance (UDO) and the General Plan (GP), and proposes amendments to the text of the UDO as necessary.  The Planning and Zoning Commission makes recommendations to the Town Council as they relate to changes in zoning districts, land use designations, and conditional uses; the Commission meets on the first Tuesday of every month as necessary.  Variances to the regulations set forth in the UDO are made by the Board of Adjustment; they meet on an as-needed basis.